Re: Intent to package Seaview [Biology]

Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>
> > Well, FLTK is not a plug-in replacement for Xforms. You have to modify the
> > program and, although the FLTK authors say it's easy, I did not try.
> >
> > But this is a nice suggetion and I forward it upstream. Did anyone was
> > involved in a transition from Xforms to FLTK? This would get me out of the
> > contrib hell and into the heaven of free software (SeaView itself is
> > DFSG-free).
> Doing that you can suggest to switch to GTK+1.2.  It is more work but
> possibly worth the effort.  And, beleave me, it bringth you up the
> heaven number seven of GTK+ :-).

Why is it worth the effort? FLTK is a simple conversion from a non-free
toolkit to a free toolkit. GTK would require ripping out any toolkit
dependent stuff and re-writing. The only reason is for it to look better
with the rest of the desktop, and that's probably not worth it unless
the author really wants to.

--
David Starner - OSU student - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
If you want a real optimist, look up Ray Bradbury. Guy's nuts.