Re: Can I stop xdm/wdm from always starting up?

Pedro Guerreiro wrote:
  >Let's me explain the problem: Somewhere along these last big changes in X,
  >something was lost (I think). In the old days, there was an option in
  >/etc/X11/config that gives you the chance to start (or not) xdm/wdm: If you
  >has a line like 'start-xdm' on that file, the xdm was started every time you
  >boot the machine, but if you changed that line to something like
  >'no-start-xdm', then xdm didn't start, and you end up with the console login
      >.
  >As my linux box is mine, all mine and nothing but mine :-)), sometimes
  >(especially when trying something more dangerous in X) I wanted to start the
  >plain console, and then try X using startx.
  >
  >Well, now this is gone :-(, or not? Are the any _right_ way to do this now?
  >
  >I've hacked my system to do this, through a change in /etc/init.d/[xw]dm,
  >but if there is a _right_ way to allow me to do this, I didn't have to mess
  >around with these scripts.

Since xdm is now a separate package, you should simply remove it.  If you
want to keep xdm, yet not use it, hacking the init file seems the best way
to do it.

     "These things have I written unto you that believe on
      the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye
      have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name
      of the Son of God."        I John 5:13