Re: [Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>] Re: Debian & BSD concerns

On Fri, Feb 26, 1999 at 12:00:09AM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> > On the contrary.  We aren't using their userspace so their userspace
> > wouldn't benefit from our work much.  Their kernel would.
>
> Please note that changes tainted with the GPL would probably not be
> accepted back into the kernel. From the BSD point of view, GPLed code is
> *not free*.

I wasn't planning to GPL changes to the BSD kernel.  However someone else
suggested making lilo boot a BSD kernel, that would be a GPL'd change for
sure.  Code changes to make bsd be able to use ext2fs root filesystem
would have to be bsdish license to be accepted into the kernel.  Hardly
unreasonable considering the nature of the changes.

> > I'd need HD space and a cdrom first, but I'm working on getting both so
> > that I can actually play with it.  I could care less about block cursor
> > as long as it don't blink, that would bug me.  =>
>
> Both FreeBSD console drivers (syscons and pcvt) allow the cursor shape
> to be specified. For new users, add
>
> cursor="destructive"
>
> to your /etc/rc.conf to get an underline type of cursor.

The block won't bug me if it doesn't blink.  =>

--
"Do you think she's the sincere type? ... Yeah, I was afraid of that."
                        -- Richie Ryan, Highlander: The Series