Re: is GNOME the future default desktop?

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Sven LUTHER wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 08:17:34AM +1100, Craig Sanders wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 24, 1999 at 10:39:19AM -0800, Brimhall, GeoffreyX L wrote:
> > > Could Gnome be asked to re-write the statement,
> > >
> > >         "GNOME has been selected by both the Debian distribution and Red
> > >         Hat Software as their desktop environment for the future."
> > >
> > > to:
> > >
> > >         "GNOME has been selected by both the Debian distribution and Red
> > >         Hat Software as a supported desktop environment for the future."
> >
> > wait until the KDE/Qt licensing problems are fixed before doing anything
> > about it.
> >

> And remember "default" doesn't mean "only" ...
>
> It would be best for debian to choose Gnome as default, while permiting
> users to choose KDE if they whish so, ... after all gnome is more in the
> debian philosophy than KDE ...

In what respect?  Remember, KDE is GPL'ed...

They made a mistake with their toolkit.  However, KDE *is* intended to be
free software (the author's didn't fully understand the implications of
linking to Qt), and KDE almost certainly will be free software.

So I don't understand in what respect GNOME is 'more in the debian
philosophy'.

As soon as KDE is freed, it will be on an equal footing with GNOME.

Note also that the two environments can coexist.  You can't run two
different WMs, of course, but you can easily run koffice and gnumeric at
the same time.

Jules