Re: Proposal: dh_install - a new debhelper

On Mit, 24 Feb 1999, Jules Bean wrote:
>On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Norbert Nemec wrote:
>> Problem: I am right at packaging the Sather-compiler which comes in a package
>> without any installation procedure like "make install", because it is supposed
>> to be kept all in the original tree. For me, that means I have to "cp" or
>> "install" all the files to the right places in debian/rules, which is very
>> confusing, since the combination of the make-file format, the little embedded
>> sh-scripts and the programs "cp" and "install" do not harmonize very elegant.
>
>Ick.  What a horrid design.

That is exactly what I wanted to say! I could not find any easier, more elegant
way than that.

>> My idea: Why not have one additional debhelper "dh_install" that reads a file
>> debian/install (or debian/<package>.install if multibinary) that contain all
>> the information needed to copy files from the source-tree into the debian/tmp
>> tree in a comfortable, debian-style manner? Of would provide everything install
>> or cp do, like pattern matching, recursive directories, file modes/owners, on
>> the fly gzipping and much more.
>
>How close does dh_movefiles come to what you need?  Could you make
>modifications to this, rather than a new tool?

After what I read in the manpage, the purpose of dh_movefile is a completly
different one. With that program, you can practically select part of a
complex tree and move it to a different tree without changing the relative
paths and filenames of the files.

May well be, there is an elegant solution for that (there is one for about
every problem under Linux... :-)   ) But neither cp/install nor any of the
debhelpers does what I mean.