Re: PROPOSAL: "Staging Areas"

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Santiago Vila wrote:

> > > Which would be the technical disadvantage of having a common stage area
> > > (dists/experimental) for all projects?
> > >
> > > As long as different projects do not share package names, what kind of
> > > problems would be expected to be found?
> >
> > One advantage would be that a person wanting the experimental stuff
> > for only a particular type of package (like gtk stuff)
> > could use apt easily on only his/her staging area, without getting
> > other experimental stuff (like a new glibc).
>
> I see. Well, I suppose the real disadvantage would be having to
> use the hold key (=) so much, then.

Another advantage (the main advantage, imho) of separate staging areas is,
that one can commit all related packages to unstable once they work
together.  If you put everything in a common staging area you would have
to upload each package manually to unstable, causing the observed problems
of having incompatible packages in the distribution.

   Max