Re: package built with MakeMaker: possible i386ism?

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:
> I just packages pmtools, which uses MakeMaker, and I noticed MakeMaker has
> it install a /usr/lib/perl5/i386-linux/5.004/auto/pmtools/.packlist
>
> [...]
>
> The files don't seem to be useful, they contain a list of files in the
> package, prefixed with the directory the package was built in.
>
> Are these files useful in any way? Should the be removed?
> If no, is the i386 in the paths an i386-ism? (most of the above packages
> are arch: all)

The files are not useful, and the i386 in the path is a canard---if
you build on the alpha, you get alpha-linux in the path.

I even brought up the fact that MakeMaker did this on the
perl5-porters list a year or more ago, to a resounding silence.

I just have the debian/rules scripts for my packages remove the
.packlist files.

Mike.