Re: cron has gone to UTC time?

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 09:16:23PM -0600, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 27-Jan-99, 16:54 (CST), Douglas Bates <bates@stat.wisc.edu> wrote:
> > On a slink machine I have a crontab entry that should perform an rsync
> > of a site that I mirror around 22:40 my time (-0600).  I have started to
> > get the reports from the job a little after 16:40 my time which just
> > happens to be 22:40 UTC.
>
> [...deleted...]
>
> The other interesting thing would be a list of the packages you have
> newly installed or upgraded recently -- Jason Gunthorpe thinks there may
> be a relationship. Anything you can think of would be a help...
>
> Assuming, of course, that the machine involved can be used in this way.
> If it can't be done, no problem, but if you see it again, please do as
> much as the above as you can before you restart cron.
>
> debian-devel folks: if any of you see similar behaviour in cron, and if
> you have the time, please try the above experiment.

i've noticed this behaviour in the past, when xntp gets upgraded in the
same dselect run as cron or sysklogd.

what usually happens is that cron and/or sysklogd start running in UTC
time.  I think (guess) this happens because cron and syslogd are both
restarted before xntp is restarted.

it happened to me yesterday when i upgraded from xntp3 to the new ntp 4
package.

easily fixed with /etc/init.d/{cron,syslogd} stop, followed by start.

craig

--
craig sanders