Re: Where does 'www-data' come from?

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 08:35:23PM +0000, Edward Betts wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan, 1999, Brian May wrote:
> > Maybe the web files should be owned by "www-data" and the web
> > process should be owned by "www" or "httpd"? This way the
> > descriptive names continue to make sense. Practical
> > speaking, it is probably just as good to make web files
> > owned by root, however, then the name "www-data" won't
> > be the owner of any data.
>
> Would not work, the users on my machine who are aloud to edit the web pages
> are members of the www-data group, do you suggest I make them members of root?

No need. Just create a new group and chgrp the files, setgid the directories
etc. I have all the web page people here in a group web, and all the files
in /var/web are in the appropriate group. (We used to have the standard
documentroot in /var/web IIRC, and I've just created subdirectories
for each virtual server instead).

Hamish