Re: agreeing with the DFSG (was Re: non-free --> non-dfsg)

On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 02:32:45AM -0600, Ossama Othman wrote:
> > > The fact that my opinions go against what is apparently the Debian
> > > mainstream way of thinking doesn't mean that I should leave.
> >
> > however, if (after you have had your say) the majority of developers
> > think you are wrong and the vote goes against you then you should
> > either a) shut up about it for a reasonable period of time - several
> > months at least, or b) voluntary leave if you can't do (a).
>
> I'd agree with you more about this if more developers were more vocal
> about how they feel.  Right now less then a quarter of the developers
> seem to express their opinion or even vote (someone correct me if I am
> wrong).

what this means is that less than a quarter of developers care enough
about specific issues to argue it or vote about it. that's no surprise,
most developers have time to work on one or two (or a dozen or more)
packages but are not at all interested in the political bullshit.

ignore the "silent majority" (and especially ignore anyone claiming to
represent them). this is as important in debian as it is in the real
world.

in debian, the silent majority have their opportunity to debate issues
just like anyone else. they have their opportunity to vote.

if they choose not to debate or vote, then they either don't care or
are just wishing people would stop crapping on and wasting everyone's
time. or something else.

but whatever it is they think is irrelevant - an abstain vote is neither
for or against...it is not counted at all.

craig

ps: debian-devel isn't a philosophy debating society.

--
craig sanders