Re: packages.debian.org

On Tue, Jan 19, 1999 at 09:36:18PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> Try again. The system installed version of the indexing program was being
> used instead of my custom job. This has been fixed so it should work correctly
> now.

Yes, gdb works now. I followed the murphy's law, and tried
packages.debian.org/ae. You know the story... :)
Once again, it doesn't find 'ae' (or bc), but finds aegis{-doc}.
It seems to be only the search error because ae's page exists at
http://www.debian.org/Packages/unstable/base/ae.html.
The only remaining question here is whether we have one-letter
packages ;-D

<five minutes later> I think that it is not only about three letter
one's. I tried 'make' and it gave me only make-doc, makepasswd, but
not the 'make' itself :( Interestingly, it found 'gcc' when I searched
for 'gcc', but it marked it last on the list, 16%. I tried apache too,
since -common/doc packages also exists, and 'apache' was in the list,
but also ranked too low.

Also, you realy should change some words in the output. The percentage
column is named 'Quality' which is kind of confusing. I suggest you
change that to 'Match:' or something else.
It would be a good idea not to put the 'Release' column after the
'Quality' since this leads to output like this (at least in my lynx):

   100%   unstable  make-doc 3.77-4   (3982 bytes)
   Documentation for the GNU version of the "make" utility.

Note the '100% unstable', which may lead to confusion.
And if you do that, remove the file size after the description, it
can only cause the confusion (and who really needs that file size?).