Re: agreeing with the DFSG (was Re: non-free --> non-dfsg)

Hi,
>>"Ossama" == Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu> writes:

 Ossama> If we all agreed on the DFSG then how would change ever
 Ossama> occur?

	Why is it so necesary for any change to occur?

	And most of the developers I talked to were in favour of
 clarifying the DFSG, not changing the contents.

 Ossama> The DFSG is currently being modified due in part to
 Ossama> disagreement, isn't it?

	Nope. An attempt s being made to reword it so that it is easy
 to see

 Ossama> Difference of opinion can be a good thing.  It can fuel
 Ossama> progress.  It can also hinder it but it but is up to us to
 Ossama> ensure that progress is made.  We shouldn't just avoid such a
 Ossama> situation by attempting to ensure that everyone agrees.

	Why not? I think that in this case the divisiveness far
 outweighs any percieved ``progress'' to be made by people who
 disagree with the spirit of the DFSG.

 Ossama> Please understand that what I am saying is that it should be
 Ossama> alright for developers to have different opinions of the DFSG
 Ossama> or whatever else.  However, if they want to be Debian
 Ossama> developers then they should abide the Social Contract and the
 Ossama> DFSG but not necessarily agree with them.

	I think that a group of people putting out a distribution that
 holds the line on freedom of software can ill afford to have in their
 ranks people who are second guessing the validity of holding the
 line.

	manoj
 holding down a hard line
--
 "Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed." Lazarus Long,
 from Robert Heinlein's _Time Enough For Love_