Re: Intent to package cygnus-stylesheets

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> In message <[🔎] 873e573blh.fsf@fleming.jimpick.com> you wrote:
> >Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:
> >> I understand that Gnome needs db2* scripts... why do they need the Cygnus
> >> stylesheets?
> >
> >They use them internally at Cygnus for their documentation.  They are
> >unsupported for outside use.
> >
> >Don't ask me why Gnome decided to use them.  I suppose it's because
> >Mark Galassi is helping out with the docs.
>
> Well, I hope it has a license that enables redistribution.

License?   You wish.  :-)

It's mostly Norm Walsh's stuff, but the license should be clarified
for Mark's additions.

> >> To be honest, there's absolutely no reason the two forks of the
> >> stylesheets have to conflict.  They should be able to co-exist fine.
> >
> >The only reason I made them conflict is because they both register
> >Norm Walsh's stylesheets.
>
> That is evil evil evil and I can't tolerate that, no matter what
> RedHat does.  I'm going to have to track down Mark and slap
> him into next week for doing that.  I hope you don't mind if I don't
> support such broken behavior in the debian package.

I don't mind.  Maybe he hasn't changed much...

> But I'm happy to package it; it should be almost
> identical in the debian/* as docbook-stylesheets.

I was in a rush, so I used the same layout as Red Hat.  I just copied
the installation stuff out of the spec file (since there is no
Makefile).  I like your stuff better, but his source package is
arranged differently, and I didn't want to have to debug things.

> >I'm not sure how much Cygnus tweaked their
> >version.  It could be quite a bit since they are using it for internal
> >use.  Maybe there would be little difference if we used the "real"
> >Norm Walsh ones instead?  Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to
> >experiment at the moment.
> >
> >I've put the package up at:
> >
> >  ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/tmp/adam/
> >
> >I didn't put a lot of effort into it.  I just tried to get it to work
> >like the RPM does.
>
> I'll need someone with an 'in' on the gnome
> team to tell me if my package is doing the right thing, since the
> point is gnome, not mimicing the .rpm.
>
> This is for potato, of course, right?

Yep.

Cheers,