Re: agreeing with the DFSG (was Re: non-free --> non-dfsg)

othman@cs.wustl.edu (Ossama Othman) responded:

> I was referring to the fact that many of the developers strongly felt
> that I should agree with the DFSG, i.e. not have my own opinion of it.
> So, with all due respect, please don't understand me so fast. :)

I was merely trying to point out that we have flame wars ... ahem ...
disagreements on these lists all of the time.  I just wanted you to
know that you are far from the only person who has made a suggestion
and received several negative responses.  It happens all of the time.
Please don't get the impression, however, that we always reject new
ideas.  Often a suggestion receives an enthusiastic response.  Whether
anything changes (i.e., whether someone does the work to implement a new
proposal) is another matter.

> I was not referring specifically to Craig.  Rather I was referring to
> some of the statements that were made by several developers about "if
> you don't agree then you should consider leaving" or something along
> those lines.  If I gave you the impression that I was singling out or
> attacking Craig then I apologize for that.  I do admit that it is hard
> to keep calm when everyone seems to disagree with you.  So, if I came
> off as attacking Craig then please excuse me.

There is really no need to apologize.  However, it is my experience that
almost all of these type of suggestions are (at least) in the spirit of:
"This is how many of us feel, and if you are uncomfortable with this,
then perhaps you would feel more comfortable with some of the other
groups that currently exist."  I have rarely seen examples of anyone
trying for force someone out of the group, and of those situations where
it does come across this way, I believe that it is almost always a case
of the author becoming carried away an overly heated argument rather
than an actual sincere attempt to force anyone out.

> I agree with you about understanding and complying with Debian's goals,
> which is why I abide by them.

... and is why I said "I'm sure that you will agree" (with me not
necessarily the DFSG).

> But, does that mean that I have to agree with them?

Of course not!  We don't want robots.  We want individuals who are
willing to work towards a common goal.  Anything constructive that you
bring to the project is welcome.  However, you should realize that an
endevor like this, which is a labor of love, inspires strong passions
and ideals, and these are some of the things that you will encounter
when you deal with other members of the Debian project.

> I do truly try to respond in a calm fashion, although I don't always
> succeed.

Don't worry.  Nobody expects you to be perfect.  Besides, you were
polite, which is something that is always more than welcome on the
Internet.  Discussion, even of the same old things, is a good thing.

> I didn't realize that renaming non-free was suggested before.  Why didn't
> anyone tell me?  Think of all the headaches I could have avoided! :)

I was kind of wondering the same thing myself.

Brian