Re: Source Dependencies, a real solution

On Thu, Jan 14, 1999 at 08:24:51AM -0500, Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > This is a full blown implementation (not to be confused with a hack).
> > It enables dpkg-source to recognize _versioned_ dependencies using the
> > same syntax as regular dependencies. It does this in the course of
> > 'dpkg-source -x'. I have also added a -d option for doing nothing but
> > checking the dependencies in the .dsc file (does not extract the
> > source). Using the -d option only requires the .dsc (source and diff
> > are not required).
>
> Hi Ben,
>    It's good to see work being done on this.  Have you taken into account
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-devel-9901/msg00817.html
> where Lars mentioned that we needed two different types of source depends?
> I guess looking for *sources* themselves is more difficult than seeing if
> a needed binary package is installed.

Actually, I did. The idea seemed good, but the trade of for complicating
the process didn't seem to be worth the extra functionality. Binary
packages can be listed in the Source-Depends field as well. Maybe it would
clarify the field's usage by calling it "Build-Depends" ?

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org