Re: The new Social Contract and releasing Sarge

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 01:55:30PM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 04:43:09PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> > "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> schrieb:
> > > In many cases there was more than enough time to do something
> > > about them.  A search of the BTS for the sarge-ignore tag shows
> > > that most (all but 2) listed bug reports are over 200 days old,
> > > more than enough time to do something about them.  Granted this is
> > > but a cursory glance at these tickets.
> >
> > Of course there would have been time.
>
> Would have been time?  There _was_ time, over 200 days in most cases.
> If the necessary change couldn't be made in 6+ months, how much longer
> should it be given?

Sometimes the change has some other detrimental effect, and therefore
maintainers may have chosen not to make them unless they have to. For
instance, fixing #211640 requires me to change openssh_*.orig.tar.gz so
that it no longer matches the GPG signature distributed alongside the
OpenSSH source distribution by its developers, which for a piece of
security-critical infrastructure I feel would be a great shame. (I
suppose I should at least remove that document from the binary package,
though; in fact, I've just done that in CVS.)