Re: ppc64 port

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 14:09, Kevin B.Hendricks wrote:

> For example the OpenOffice.org tree is not 64bit clean
> (or even close) and will probably take a lot of work to
> reach that point.  On x86_64 they simply use the 386 rpm.

This won't work for long. OpenOffice is one of those
apps that needs a 64-bit address space. :-)

I'm only half kidding. It takes what, 512 MB already?
That's only a factor of 4 away from the ppc limit.
Because of the way address space gets fragmented, the
limit may even be closer.

> I am sure there are other large peices of code that are
> not 64 bit clean as well. So it would be nice to run 32 bit
> Linux PPC OOo version until the tree actually gets cleaned
> up and the uno-bridge code is written to deal with 64 bit vs
> 32 bit abi differences.

That's gross, but OK, as long as I can uninstall the
32-bit compatibility crud.

16-bit (Minix, ELKS, Coherent, OpenServer...) binaries are
smaller than 32-bit i386 ones, but you don't see any
frankenstein Linux installs depending on 16-bit crud.