Re: more evil firmwares found

Marco d'Itri wrote:

> On Apr 13, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> stuff; the best example Marco could come up with was DVB boards, which is
>> a fairly obscure and inessential area which until recently wasn't
>> supported by Linux at all.
> TV cards have been supported by linux since a very long time, and DVB
> cards have been for years (with standalone drivers).
DVB itself is pretty new.

> I will decide for
> myself what is essential for me.
Sure.  That doesn't mean that Debian as a whole should consider it
essential; if you consider *every* user's stuff essential, you'll put an
insane amount of non-free stuff in 'main'.

>>  People claimed DSL modems, but turned out to be wrong
>> (there are black-box ethernet-bridge implementations).
> Which are more complex, much more expensive and usually with less
> features than an ATM port available to the Linux kernel.
> (Oh, and they usually run something like VxWorks, so there is still
> non-free software around. But you are happy, since you don't see it.)
>
>> If they want them, they can get them by installing their own upstream
>> kernel.
> Yes, it means that a knoppix CD will continue to be a much more useful
> install system that d-i.

Fine.  Is Debian committed to making "the most useful install system"?  No,
but Debian is committing to making a *distribution* which is "100% Free
Software".

Anyway, go ahead and make a non-free derivative of d-i which supports
whatever the hell you want; the modular design makes it quite reasonable,
and I hear that the building process gets easier every day.

--
Make sure your vote will count.
http://www.verifiedvoting.org/