Re: Debian needs more buildds. It has offers. They aren't beingaccepted.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 01:31:10PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > A new buildd system is a good thing at all, because there are several
> > drawbacks that can be solved this way. Implementing a new security model is
> > one of the drawbacks.
> What other problems can / should be solved?

F.e. dependencies.
The current system just picks a package, installs the build-deps just to
realize that there's one missing.
That might not be a problem, but on slower archs installing 100 MB of deps
can take a long time. Same for the uninstallation.
A new system should know as much as possible about deps and distribute the
packages accordingly.

Another "problem" are build timeouts. We had just last week a package on
crest that had hit the timeout twice (raised in between of course), because
crest was as usually loaded. There's surely a correlation between load
average and build times and therefore this relates to build timeouts as
well.

Just as a third example, the current system is quite static. Packages are
distributed by the queue order, when the buildd itself doesn't have a packages
in one of its skip lists. Packages can not be raised in priority (or
lowered) when needed.

--
Ciao...              //
      Ingo         \X/