Re: [custom] Custom Debian Distros need the help from debian developers

On Sun, Feb 15, 2004 at 06:50:43PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Hmmmm, I've read over and over about this "debconf abuse" and "debconf
> is not a registry" things.
>
> But, even with debian-installer, we use it as a registry..:-) (look at
> debian-installer/country, for instance.....this could be used by many
> many packages instead of promprting again and again for countries)

debian-installer is essentially one integrated installation sequence,
and you don't have to worry that people will delete the debconf cache
from under you or edit configuration files by hand in the middle of the
installation which would then need to be re-read. This is not the case
in the Debian system proper.

> Moreover, people fighting against debconf abuse seem to forget
> something : debconf is currently the one and only way to ask for
> settings IN THE USER LANGUAGE.

Surely not? While people may not use it much, gettext(1) is available
and can be used from postinsts.

Cheers,