Re: Python or Perl for a Debian maintainance project?

Hi,

Andrew Pollock wrote:
> I notice that a sizable chunk of the backend Debian housekeeping scripts are
> Python scripts, but I can't seem to find a package of Debian-specific Python
> classes (is this the case?). I haven't looked for something similar for Perl
> modules yet.
There's the (terminally ill documented last time I looked [1])
python-apt, if you're looking for parsing package files and such stuff.

> Also, does anyone know if Python has a database abstraction layer (like
> PHP's ADODB)?
Python has the db-sig interface. The only call that wasn't standardized
too well [2] was connect for actually connecting to a database.

I personally would recommend python, but I'm not one of those "all
scripting languages but my favorite are garbage" people. [3]

Kind regards

Thomas

1. I offered a version of my silly little dependency browser written in
python to the last who asked.
2. Again, last time I looked.
3. But hey, python is the only language suggested in this thread that
   has a decent name.
--
Thomas Viehmann, <http://beamnet.de/tv/>