Re: experimental codename

Graham Wilson <graham@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 08:44:42PM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:

[...]

>> it's a bit different and for different arches. What about the arches
>> `all'? Well, I'm maybe a particular case: powerpc + java ;) but it
>> could be the same with sparc + perl or else. Where can I have more
>> information about experimental?
>
> Hmm... I am not quite sure I understand you. Can you explain more?

I don't know how to write a sources.list line for architecture `all'.

If I want to upload a java package in experimental (Architecture: all)
where and how do I do that? And if I want debian-java users to install
experimental packages, how do they have to write their apt/sources.list
line?

That was the 'question'.

>> The main point for me is the buildd and experimental to be a copy
>> *plus* exception distribution (the plus exception are _the_
>> experimental packages).
>
> Yes, I think the buildd situation wrt experimental is a hindrance to
> wider use of the experimental distribution.
>
> However, I am not (nor do I believe a majority might be) that
> experimental should duplicate unstable, with only a few packages (the
> experimental ones) being newer. However, with the pool structure
> archive, this might not actually mean a duplication of too much space.

Am I correct if I say that it will not take more place than now, but
only the Packages and Sources files will change?

> But indeed, the same affect can be accomplished by using APT's
> preferences file.

Yes, it's me not able to deal with the experimental apt/sources.list
configuration and not able to configure apt correctly. Is it only me or
maybe a better documentation about it could be a good thing?

Cheers,

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud