Re: apt-get problems

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 10:59, Adam Heath <doogie@debian.org> wrote:
> Something in your login chain is setting SIGCHLD to ignore.  Check your
> shell, terminal, etc.

Thanks for the information.

I am using pam 0.77 that I compiled myself (Debian is still at 0.76).  0.77
changes the code for running unix_chkpwd to set SIGCHLD to ignore, it sets it
back again later but there seems to be a bug in this code.

Adding the option "noreap" to the pam_unix.so line in /etc/pam.d/common-auth
fixed this (giving pam 0.76 functionality in regard to SIGCHLD).

I don't think that the same problem would occur on a non-SE Linux system (or a
system running an older version of my SE Linux policy) as it will permit
direct /etc/shadow access and not need unix_chkpwd to be run from the login
process.

Also I have not compiled pam 0.77 for woody, so the problems experienced by
woody users could not be related unless someone else has built it.