Re: Making zope Pre-Depends on zopectl

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 03:26:02PM -0400, Aaron M. Ucko wrote:
> Are pre-depends actually guaranteed to be around then?  AFAICT, policy
> just says they need to be (more or less) usable before the preinst
> runs, and does not guarantee any sort of symmetry.

zopectl (>= 0.3.0) does not depend on zope and can be used with CVS
snapshots, or multiple versions concurrently installed. You can configure
ZOPE_HOME SOFTWARE_HOME and INSTANCE_HOME in a simple way and it will work.
It, by now, only conflicts with zope (>= 2.7)

... simmetry?

> Why not just have zopectl store the location in some fixed file that
> zope's postrm reads?

Because anything is configurable: i suggested in README.Debian a simple
guide-line to have multiple zope instances, but files can be placed elsewhere.
For example a reasonable configuration may have different users, with
different home directories, and place all instance files in there.
Briefly, why should i hardcode a path if it can be avoided? My efforts where
about configurability: i would loose this feature, so my efforts.

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have