Re: Debian bugs belong to the Debian BTS

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 16:48, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > There is no way you can say to a volutantary worker "I demand to be
> > served for free!" Ofcourse, technically closing upstream bugs is wrong.
> > But it is just as wrong to only reopen them.

No, but Debian as a whole can (and should) ask volunteers not interested
in using the best practices (to create the best system) to step down and
cut back on the load they have agreed to in order to better serve the
project as a whole.

> > You should have send them to the kde upstream Bug Tracking System
> > and mark them "forwarded to upstream" in debian BTS. Since you appear
> > to be unwilling to help debian project even that small way,
> > I've promised Chris to read through the bug list in weekend, and submit
> > and mark upstream bugs to kde BTS.
>
> No, the maintainer(s) should do that.  That is not a submitter's
> responsibility.

It is glad to see other's feel that a Debian user should only have to
interface with Debian and not the developer of every piece of software
on their system.  This is one of the ADVANTAGES of Debian.

> >> It's _not_ OK to tell the users of your packages to only file them
> >> upstream.
> >
> > This is ludicrous. There is no advantage to anyone if obvious
> > upstream issues pass through debian BTS. Packaging bugs
> > to debian BTS, upstream bugs to upstream BTS. If unsure,
> > to debian BTS.
>
> Bullshit.  There's plenty advantage for a submitter to *always* use the
> Debian BTS to report bugs, namely because, as a Debian user, I don't
> give a rats ass when upstream fixes a bug; I'm only interested in when
> that fix is released in a Debian package.

Again, this is SOOOO true.  The biggest gripe I have a user (and
developer) is having to learn and deal with the oddities of each
projects bug tracking system.  The thing I love about Debian is that I
have one simple Bug Tracking System to handle every package I have
installed.

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise