Re: Done

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:46:05 -0500, Steve Langasek <vorlon@netexpress.net> said:

> On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 05:14:42PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 14:43:29 -0400, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
>> said:
>>
>> > I think brevity can be a virtue. Maybe you don't, given how
>> > long-winded your report template managed to be, while saying so
>> > little. :-P

>> Brevity may well be the virtue of princes, but to tell a novice use
>> what a package does, whether they should consider installing it on
>> their machine, how it is different from the competition (if any),
>> and the advantages or disadvantages of the package - all in under
>> 80 characters -- well, that, for the majority of one liner
>> descriptions I see, smacks of a misfounded expectation of genius.

>> I am not sure of the packages you refer to, but the odd dozen or so
>> I chased down, the one liner was indeed inadequate.

>> Why is there this desire for arcana, or a gauntlet of learning
>> curves to be thrown at users as a rite of passage before they can
>> use our packages?

> Because the packages in question *are* arcane, and should *not* be
> installed by novice users who don't already know what they are?

	So why not specify something like that in the description? Why
 this juvenile rite-of-passage idiocy? Why not say package X is the
 common parts of packages Y and Z, and you would never need to install
 X directly?

	I am tired of "My users are intelligent, so I can be lazy and
 incompetent and not provide a useful long description" defense.  We
 are 31337 hackerz, and if you don't know this stuff, nyah, nyah, you
 can't be part of out select corteri.

	Faugh.

> IOW: for some package descriptions, being cryptic an inaccessible to
> users is a feature, not a bug.

	Bullshit. It is merely a sign of an incompetent maintainer.

	manoj