Re: Packaging some Redhat admin tools

On Thu, 2003-08-07 at 10:04, Cédric Delfosse wrote:
> Hello
>
> at work, I have played a little bit with a Redhat 9. There are lots of
> nice system setup tools that could be useful for Debian users. These
> tools are GPL.
> The problems are:
>  - no source tar.gz / tar.bz2 distribution (AFAIK),
>  - no Redhat anonymous CVS access (AFAIK),
>  - only SRPM distribution.
>
> So, I wonder if someone has already built a package from a SRPM package

Just use rpm2cpio to extract the source tarballs and any patches.

Note that most of the admin tools have some serious deps...  I started
to port their X configuration tools, which requires RH python-x binding,
which requires the Red Hat Python library, which doesn't build on Debian
very well.  I started but never finished porting this tool, but I should
try again when the python2.2->2.3 transition is over.

(my debs of these packages are available at www.burtonini.com/debian)

Ross
--
Ross Burton                                 mail: ross@burtonini.com