Re: Should this be filed as grave? Gcc-2.95

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:08:06AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     Now, play the old kid's game.  "One of these is not like the other, one of
> these does not belong..."  The one that doesn't belong is the one that
> installs a version of software *other* than what was requested.  The one that
> doesn't belong is the one that does something contrary to every other package
> out there.
>
>     That isn't an opinion.  That is fact.  That is quantifiable.

However, gcc-2.95 needs to install /usr/bin/gcc or it isn't much use.
The alternative to having a base gcc package is to use dpkg-managed
alternatives; but alternatives are flaky and don't fulfil the objective
of being able to ensure with some degree of surety that buildds and
developers are using a more or less consistent version of gcc. This has
been discussed in detail on debian-gcc many times.

Once you have a base gcc package as we do, it's not much use without an
actual compiler.

Thus, while the situation isn't optimal, I can't see a better way.