Re: May packages rm -rf subdirectories of /etc/ ?

On 24 Jul 2003 15:06:59 +0200, Thomas Hood <jdthood@yahoo.co.uk> said:

> On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 14:53, Stephen Frost wrote:
>> * Thomas Hood (jdthood@yahoo.co.uk) wrote:
>> > Package foo which eliminates /etc/foo.conf doesn't "know" that
>> > there is not some other package, bar, which Depends on foo and
>> > uses /etc/foo.conf .  That's the problem.  See
>> > #108587 for additional discussion.
>>
>> The maintainer should really know.  The maintainer is more likely
>> to know than the user in many cases.  I think it would be
>> worthwhile for policy to be modified to require notification when a
>> sharing of this kind happens.  I know that I'd expect someone to
>> tell me if they're using a conffile from my package.

> If this were required in policy, then there ought to be an easy way
> to comply.

	Umm. apt allows you to determine reverse depends.  From there
 there is an easy hop to sending email to ask the develoeprsa in
 question; or to exaimine a package to look at its conffiles.

> Perhaps that could be made to work, but it would be complex, and
> dpkg is already beyond the capacity of Debian to maintain properly.

	Developers can somehow re learn the arcane art of actually
 communicating with each other, as a work around.

	manoj

--
HOORAY, Ronald!!  Now YOU can marry LINDA RONSTADT too!!