Re: default MTA for sarge

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 11:50:07 +0200, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> Enough of a Linux system assumes that a MTA is present that not
> installing any would be wrong.  Asking an user which MTA they want is
> equally wrong because many users have no clue what one is.

I strongly support this. A week or two ago, I had to fix a Debian box
which was "painfully slow". The cause was (you guess it) - exim. The user
installed it (probably dependencies), but didn't configure it correctly.
Now combine that with a cronjob that runs every five minutes and cron's
send-mail-when-complete feature. The machine accumulated a mail queue of
several hundred megabytes; every 10 minutes or so, exim was run and tried
in vain to send out those mails. Because none of these mails was ever
delivered, the user didn't know what the problem was.

In short, please make "local delivery" the default; don't even run
exim-config on installation.[1] Those who need the feature will know how
to activate it. The others shouldn't need to care.

[1] The question where root's mail goes to comes to mind. I think this
question has to be asked.

--
Best Regards,   |   Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian      |   your ~/.signature to help me spread!