policy-rc.d

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 01:06:14AM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Marc Singer wrote:
> > There is the related trouble that the only way to disable most
> > packages is to uninstall them.  Sometimes, it is desirable to
> > temporarily disable a service without removing the binaries or
> > changing the executability of the init.d script.
>
> Take a look at invoke-rc.d and its policy program.

OK.  I can tell that this feature is available, though obscured by the
lack of a man page for policy-rc.d or even a reference to a package
that implements it.  I *did* find a document through google, however.
Reading it doesn't make it much clearer.

My search through a Contents file doesn't show an implementor for
policy-rc.d.  Is there one or is it adhoc?

--

Luckily, I am familiar with rule 3:

  3. any action for a non-executable initscript is denied.