Re: inews path question

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 05:45:10PM +0200, Vincent Zweije wrote:
> From the (admittedly years old) impression I got from inn, inews
> should be seen as the news injector (inject-news), corresponding to
> what sendmail is for mail, meant as a backend to other programs that
> allow you to post messages, but not supposed to be called directly
> by the end user.  As such, the proper place would be /usr/sbin, or
> at least, it wouldn't need to go in /usr/bin.
[...]

No, the proper place would not be /usr/sbin, "helper binary" does not
match the FHS criteria for /usr/sbin/
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.10.html
at all. /usr/lib ("internal binaries that are not intended to be
executed directly by users or shell scripts") would almost fit
perfectly, if the part about shell scripts was missing.

I am not proposing moving sendmail to /usr/bin/, though, it has been
in this location on Debian system for a long time.
            cu andreas