Re: maildirmake

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 02:34:39AM +0200, anobo@gmx.de wrote:
> Hello Debian-Developers,
>
> first, many thanks all of you for your great work.  As I am not a pro, I am
> very glad that most of Debian works out-of-the-box.
>
> But, I was looking around and wondering about that I couldn't find any
> `maildirmake' for Debian, excluding qmail-src, courier and maildrop, which I don't
> want/don't need to use.  Furthermore I'd like to stay with a very small and
> clean and free system (only usage of apt-get, don't install any unnecessary
> packages).
>
> After searching the web and the debian-pages (for a _long_ time vs. prior
> problems) I found this:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2000/debian-devel-200001/msg01717.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2000/debian-devel-200001/msg01719.html
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg02259.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg02261.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2002/debian-user-200206/msg02278.html
>
> Now I'm wondering about it even more.  IMHO `maildirmake' is _very_
> necessary for any mail and as it seems to be only a 2-line-shell-script why it isn't
> included anywhere and anyway in the base-system?

Sorry about hopping in on this so late...

if you're using exim with maildirs, and the maildir doesn't exist yet
when a mail arrives, exim will create the maildir on the fly.

Which means that this could also be achieved by sending a standard
'welcome' mail to new users when you create them (which is good practice
anyway :-)

--
Wouter Verhelst
"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a