Re: Developer Accessible Hurd Machine

On Tue, Jun 24, 2003 at 11:30:26PM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
> I think such a machine would be valuable to increase the quality
> of the Hurd port overall.

Maybe. But also keep in mind that porting to GNU/Hurd is a bit more
complicated than porting to just another Linux architecture, because of
some things GNU/Hurd does differently, see
http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Distrib/PortingIssues

> Most of my packages do never get built on hurd, although that might
> actually be related to a lack of buildds?

That probably the case, the buildd is not running at the moment :)
I build important packages (like the toolchain) infrequently though.

Anyway, you can still try to install the Hurd yourself on a free
partition, for example using the crosshurd package. Most people have an
i386, so it's just a matter of perhaps freeing some disk-space and
reading the docs. If it doesn't work with your hardware or you run into
big problems, you will not have lost a lot of time.

See http://hurd.gnu.org and http://hurd.gnufans.org for further
information.

Michael