Re: ITP: latex209 -- macro files of LaTeX 2.09 25-mar-1992 version

Atsuhito Kohda writes:

> From: Agustin Martin Domingo <agmartin@aq.upm.es>
> Subject: Re: ITP: latex209 -- macro files of LaTeX 2.09 25-mar-1992 version
> Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 13:50:39 +0200

>> I am cc'ing this message to the debian-tetex-maint list. I think they
>> would also like to know about this and will have a much better knowledge
>> than I have about how possible it is and the incompatibilities that
>> might arise.

> Even in the latest teTeX 2.0.2, there are settings in texmf.cnf
> as follows;

> TEXINPUTS.latex = .;$TEXMF/tex/{latex,generic,}//
> TEXINPUTS.latex209 = .;$TEXMF/tex/{latex209,generic,latex,}//

> that is, there is basically no problem to provide latex209
> macros under $TEXMF/tex/latex209 if the command was called
> "latex209".

Yes.  The main requirement for this to work well is that the latex209
installation be sufficiently complete, so that latex209 styles files
will always be found in preference to (possibly incompatible) latex2e
style files.  CTAN is a good place to get the distribution files.

But also note that historically, there has been little agreement on
what should be in a LaTeX 2.09 setup beyond Lamport's core.  One of
the results was that setups ended up being incompatible with each
other, even though they contained style files with same names.
Incompatible meaning one or both of "my document cannot be typeset
here" or "my document is typeset in a completely different way here".
So some finetuning will be required.

--
Olaf Weber