Re: conflicts-based solution (was Re: security in testing)

Hi, Sven Luther wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 10:26:35PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
>> No, it's sitting there, waiting for someone to use it. After a year's
>> neglect it might need some metaphorical oil on its hinges and some
>> dusting, but it really is there. I'm not just saying this for
>> rhetorical value.

That's great, However...

> [ list of questions / possible problems ]

My impression is that t-p-o is intended to be used like woody-p-o, i.e.
security fixes only, with a MNUish version number.

> So, the right and easy solution for the samba security bug is to upload
> the source package to testing-proposed-update, and it will get rebuild
> on all testing supported architectures in time.

Is that automatic, or does somebody have to push a few buttons?

> What happens then, will it stay apart, or get transitioned into testing
> when all arches have rebuilt ?

IMHO: The latter.

> Also, should we use this only for security fixes, or also for other RC
> bugs or even non RC bugs ? Where is the limit and if there is one, who
> will enforce it ?

IMHO the automatic system should make sure that the version number of the
t-p-o package is between that of the current testing version and that of
the current unstable, to ensure that the package will eventually be
replaced with the one in unstable.

Also IMHO, a good rule-of-thumb is "security fix, OR it fixes an important
bug AND the regular update into testing is stalled".

The automatic system should make sure that testing itself doesn't get
hosed; it already does that job for unstable. I would like to propose one
modification, in that the resulting binary packages need to be able to get
from t-p-o to testing on their own, otherwise they're deleted.

Developers' laziness should make sure that the system isn't abused for
spurious pseudo-updates. ;-)

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de
[End of diatribe.  We now return you to your regularly scheduled