Re: Where are translated man pages packaged?

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 11:24:14AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is currently no consensus whether translated man pages should
> be shipped along with original man pages or within manpages-xx packages.
> Unfortunately this leads to conflicts when a translation is first
> shipped by the latter, then incorporated into the former (e.g. when
> it becomes part of upstream tarball).
>
> Some developers are reluctant to include French translated man pages and
> ask me to ship them in manpages-fr.  How can I make them change their
> mind?  Is there a consensus that translated man pages must go with
> original man pages?  Are exceptions needed for some packages?

As the new maintainer of manpages-nl...

I'd say, and so did Joost Van Baal, the previous maintainer, that
translated manpages belong with the original. This way, it's easier to
keep track of changes, manpages don't take up space documenting
programs or -dev library packages that aren't installed, and, most
importantly: people that don't know about the manpages-xx package will
get the translated manpages if they set their $LANG, since it's with the
'normal' package. People that set their $LANG will probably prefer that
anyway.

With regard to those conflicting pages: that's just temporary; once
manpages have been incorporated in the right package, one can easily
remove the manpage from the manpages-xx package, and upload a new
package.

"An expert can usually spot the difference between a fake charge and a
full one, but there are plenty of dead experts."
  -- National Geographic Channel, in a documentary about large African beasts.