Re: DebConf 3 for New Maintainers

Hi,

Am Mit, 2003-05-14 um 14.22 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On 14 May 2003, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > I am considering going to DebConf 3. Now Oslo is not really close (I
> > live in southern germany), and being a High School student, I would have
> > to argue with my principal whether I may go or not during school time,
> > so it should be worth the money and effort.
> I doubt that you will get any better education than at Debcamp.  By the
> way what kind of school is it which has no holidays at this time?
Gymnasium in Baden-Würtemberg
(For our english-speakers: Gymnasium in German is not the gym, but a
kind of public High School)

> > Do I have to bring my own PC?
> I would recommend this.  When I was in Bordeaux in 2000 without my own Laptop
> it was much less fun. :-(  The educational effect decreases drastically!
Well, that sould definatly interesting. I just hope I manage to get a
laptop 'till then. Or would you think a zaurus with debian is sufficient
:-) (Actually, why not: One might allow me to ssh on his machine so I
can actually compile stuff *g*)

> > What are your experiences, and what would you suggest a debian (the
> > project, not the distro) newbie?
> If you know the distro you know the unsolved problems.  If you have trouble
> finding problems which might be solved I would volunteer to compile a
> list. ;-))
I think the problem is that for most bugs you need either very deep
knowledge of the program or of some language or (mostly) both. So if you
can't do "much" C, a lot of bug fixing is out of your reach. Well, maybe
I can find some bugs I can fix with perl or shell etc until then.

Joachim
--
Joachim Breitner
  e-Mail: mail@joachim-breitner.de | Homepage: http://www.joachim-breitner.de