build issue: manual build works; dpkg-buildpackage doesn't

Hi,

I'm trying to build the latest version of XML::LibXML from CVS, but it
won't pass the tests.  At least, that depends on how I ran them:

 - perl Mekefile.PL; make; make test               = no problem
 - fakeroot debian/rules clean; debian/rules build = again no problem
 - fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage                      = still no problem
 - sudo dpkg-buildpackage                          = again still no problem

but

 - dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot = t/13dtd fails
 - dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo     = t/13dtd still fails
 - cvs-buildpackage             = t/13dtd fails some more

In this particular test the following happens:

    use Test;
    BEGIN { plan tests => 17 }
    use XML::LibXML;
    ok(1);

    my $dtdstr;
    {
	local $/; local *DTD;
	open(DTD, 'example/test.dtd') || die $!;
	$dtdstr = <DTD>;
	$dtdstr =~ s/\r//g;
	$dtdstr =~ s/[\r\n]*$//;
	close DTD;
    }
    ok($dtdstr);

    {
	# parse a DTD from a SYSTEM ID
	my $dtd = XML::LibXML::Dtd->new('ignore', 'example/test.dtd');
	ok($dtd);
	my $newstr = $dtd->toString;
	$newstr =~ s/\r//g;
	$newstr =~ s/^.*?\n//;
	$newstr =~ s/\n^.*\Z//m;
	ok($newstr, $dtdstr);
    }

The last 'ok' doesn't pass unless ran manually.  Using dpkg-buildpackage
it simply doesn't want to work (and then the remaining 14 tests also fail).

The tests are run as follows:

    PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t

The package also has a separate test script (tester.sh) and if I run

  ./tester.sh 13dtd

it also fails.  The script is

    #! /bin/sh
    make

    MEMORY_TEST=1 \
    PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 \
    /usr/bin/perl \
		     -Iblib/arch \
		     -Iblib/lib \
		     -e 'use Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=1; runtests @ARGV;' \
		      t/$1*.t

Note that I'm running this in a chroot environment (I've got several of these
for the different type of packages I maintain and have had no problem so far).
Also in a pbuilder it fails (which is also a chroot environment).

I've no idea what's going on here, nor where to look for a possible solution.

Any help in solving this mystery is really appreciated.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij