Re: The Debian Mentors Project

Hi,

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 03:51:42PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:

> On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:48:03PM +0200, Daniel K. Gebhart wrote:
> > Debian Mentors Project
>
> > The mentors core-team is:
> >   Christoph Haas (ChrisH)        <email@christoph-haas.de>
> >   Ivo Marino (eim)               <eim@mentors.debian.net>
> >   Daniel K. Gebhart (con-fuse)   <dkg@con-fuse.org>
> >   Christoph Siess (CHS)          <chs@geekhost.info>
>
> Uh, as far as I can tell, of the above only Daniel is even in the
> n-m queue; Christoph, Ivo and Christoph appear to not be developers,
> applicants, or even sponsored maintainers of any packages in the archive.
>
> ]  In longer terms: only registered Debian developers (DD) are allowed to
> ]  upload packages directly into the official Debian distribution. But
> ]  becoming a DD is a long and painful way.
>
> Daniel applied to be a maintainer on 2003-03-18 and was assigned an
> application manager nine days ago, according to nm.debian.org. Why are
> we giving debian.net addresses to people who don't want to go through
> the "pain" of authenticating themselves to Debian, demonstrating they
> no what they're doing, and agreeing with Debian's principles?

It seems that it's harmless, and its potential usefulness for the
sponsors and/or AMs, who /are/ DDs, could warrant a debian.net name,
can't it?

That no DD had to spend much energy to set this up is only a good thing,
isn't it?

In short, why pick on this useful initiative?

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl