Re: libpng clarification

Le lun 12/05/2003 à 15:46, Steve Langasek a écrit :
> > If some other distributions link gdk-imlib with libpng3, binary
> > compatibility with them on these applications is a dream. We could
> > rebuild everything against libpng3, but that means changing the GTK+ and
> > gdk-imlib package names, and rebuilding hundreds of applications for a
> > questionable gain.
>
> Since this particular problem will go away with the next upstream
> release of libpng (which will implement "versioned symbols"), it does
> seem like questionable gain, yes.

Waiting for the next upstream version without having a schedule is not
really a solution. This version will have a different soname, so we are
likely to get into serious upgrade trouble, again.
I think I will just build a versioned-symbols enabled libpng in the next
upload, the question is now whether to use it by default, as it seems
versioned symbols do not break binary compatibility anymore: the linker
now just prints a warning message when it finds no version information,
but the programs can be ran without problems (tested on Marcelo's SuSE
8.2 and on Mandrake 9.1).