Re: new locale: de-utf?

Theodore Ts'o wrote:

Hmmm.... should it be de_DE.UT8 instead?  I have no idea --- I'm not
an I18N expert --- but I notice we do have locales zh_CN.BG2312 and
zh_TW.Big5.

Notice that Chinese is unique in the respect. For all other languages,
the choice of encoding is mostly a matter of byte representation, and
the question whether certain "minor" characters are supported in the enocding or not.

For Chinese, this is quite different: traditional Chinese (zh_TW.Big5)
and simplified Chinese (zh_CN.GB2312) are different writing systems
(i.e. with different "words"/ideographs). So people have to actually perform the translation of an English message twice. For German and
most other languages, choice of Latin-1, Latin-9, UTF-8 is a matter
of simple automatic recoding (most of the time).

Regards,
Martin