Re: Emacs - Ispell problem with i[no]german dictionary

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Agustin Martin Domingo wrote:

> Such problems seem to be related to the black magic emacs and ispell.el
> do to handle multibyte characters.
Probably.  This brings also the issue up into my mind that if I cut a
certain piece of text inside a browser and try to paste it into an emacs
buffer all umlauts will be prepended by a sequence like ^[%/1??iso8859-15^B .
If I want to save files containing those sequences (or even if I removed this
crop) I will be asked:

   Select coding system (default utf-8):

The problem is that there seems to be no chance to get the text stored as
plain ASCII-Text (LaTeX or HTML document) and this is a *really* boring
missfeature in my opinion which I would love to get rid of.

> I have sometimes seen them when in
> the ispell.el string for a language there is something different than
> latin1 as coding system. Seems that in that case a strange type of
> conversion is sometimes intended while when latin1 is set the strings
> are passed to ispell unchanged.
How to set this or rather ho make this default?

> Have you emacsen entries for ispell in your ~/.emacs file?
Once I copied the following lines from anywhere:

   (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'flyspell-mode)
   (setq ispell-dictionary "german-old8")

   (defun turn-on-flyspell-mode()
     (flyspell-mode t)
   )
   (add-hook 'latex-mode-hook 'turn-on-flyspell-mode)
   (add-hook 'tex-mode-hook 'turn-on-flyspell-mode)
   (add-hook 'html-mode-hook 'turn-on-flyspell-mode)

Moreover there is the unchanged

   /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el

on my box which is part of the dictionaries-common package.  If the problem
does not happen on your box I would be interested in rent settings which are
different to my box.

Kind regards

        Andreas to my box.