Re: Status of Sarge Release Issues (Updated for May)

Chris Cheney dijo [Mon, May 05, 2003 at 05:17:20PM -0500]:
> I have read that Linus is planning to have 2.6 released before July and
> have 2.7 open for commits by Kernel Summit time (July). Whether this
> information is accurate I don't know. However, Linux 2.5.69 was released
> today and from Linus' post it seems he is trying to get 2.6 out as soon
> as possible.
>
> If the above actually happens it would be a good idea to get 2.6 into
> sarge before its eventual release. I imagine it will take much longer
> than July for a sarge release to actually occur.

I would not wait for 2.6 to be in Sarge... Remember how much time we had
to wait between the first 2.3.99 and the 2.4 release. Remember the
endless 2.4.0-prex, 2.4.0-rcx... And then the terrible stabilization
period until... 2.4.16.

And still, at 2.4.18, Woody was shipped with 2.2 by default. Maybe Sarge
should attempt to see light with 2.4 by default, ready for a simple
inclusion of 2.6 - if at all possible (I am not following the kernel
development, I understand that, although there are some noticeable
differences, they are much more limited than 2.2->2.4)

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23