Re: /run/, resolvconf and read-only root

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 10:00:37PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > Thats why we need LSB and FHS and possibly glibc support, IMHO.
> >

> If you think that LSB and FHS is going to tell the rest of the world
> that the location of /etc/resolv.conf

There is no reason to get rid of or move /etc/resolv.conf, if there is an
additional dynamic sheme for configuration of the resolver.

Of course this can be done by one of the proxy resolvers like pdnsd, but
personally I think an additional process is overkill, if some kind of shared
storage could be changed.

SysV Shared Mem sux, but a sheme like that could do it. maybe even
just mmap /run/resolv.conf. Personally I would not mind much to break the
ABI. NSS, PAM, Shadow, ext-crypt, GNU, ... generally redefined alot of those
file formats and locations. Especially since read access is mostly done by a
stable libc api.

And since NSS will extend the host lookup sheme already, I dont consider
asuming rewriting of resolv.conf very portable, anyway.

Greetings
Bernd
--
  (OO)      -- Bernd_Eckenfels@Wendelinusstrasse39.76646Bruchsal.de --