Re: Bug in apt-get ? [replace essential package / Yes, do as I say]

On Sat, Apr 26, 2003 at 11:12:00AM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> It seems that currently apt is not able to replace an essential
> package. Well in fact the package I am trying to replace isn't
> even really essential...

It is able to, as you demonstrated, it just make it harder than normal.

There are a lot of wonky things that can happen during most of the essential
package remove scenarios that can completely screw your system so it doesn't
boot or can't run programs, install scripts or something er other.

Your case may or may not have these properties, it's impossible to tell.

Basically, I recommend you don't do what you are attempting.

> I do not want to remove sysv-rc, I'm replacing it. Is this a bug in
> apt ? And, why is apt splitting the operation into two steps ?

Replacing is the same as removing, there will always be a portion of time
when that functionality isn't available anymore. APT runs it as two dpkg
operations because that allow the ordering mechanism to work sanely. Trying
to anticipate dpkg auto-removal isn't terribly easy and doesn't add any
safety.

Jason