Re: Database-specificisms considered harmful

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 04:34:00PM +0200, Matthias Urlichs arranged a set of bits into the following:
> Hi,
> > * Package name    : exim-mysql
>
> Personally, I do not like all those -mysql, -pgsql, -whatever packages.
>
> Whatever happened to the idea of using a common database access library
> like iODBC? It's reasonably small, Not A Burden if you happen to not
> require any database lookup features, and it doesn't bloat the archives
> with four versions of exim (-none, -mysql, -pgsql, and -kitchensink).
My own view on this (as someone who hacks in GForge among other things)
is that anything that depends on MySQL can probably be modified to work
with postgres easily (in terms of data & tables, libraries are harder to
switch). However anything which depends on a more powerful DB may not,
they often use things like triggers, views (MySQL 5 will have),
sub-selects (MySQL 4.1 has), stored procedures etc.
Also many packages configure access perms to the db in the config
scripts.