Re: ifupdown writes to /etc... a bug?

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:18:49PM +0100, Russell Coker wrote:
> Samba has it's smbpasswd file that is written by network password changes, and
> a few other writable files.

smpasswd is more like /etc/passwd.

It could perhaps be argued that maybe it should go under /var/lib.

In any case, smbpasswd isn't a requirement for using a samba server,
I believe you can use network based authentication...

> Please let me know when you've fixed sendmail, hotplug, ntpd, and samba, then
> I'll update my SE Linux policy accordingly and give you a list of other
> programs with write access.

I wouldn't complain if nobody updates sendmail...

Why does hotplug need to be changed?

/etc/ntp.drift and/or /etc/adjtime might be a problem, I gather not only
to they need to be writable at boot time, but the state needs to be
preserved across boots.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>