[desktop] Improving "user-friendly" in some console applications

Hi,

A friend of mine which is a long time Mandrake user has to use a Debian
during his training period. He is complaining on the default
configuration of some console applications.

For exemple, on Mandrake less permit him to show html, tar.gz... not on
Debian. Another exemple which put him into problem, was to find how vim
can restart on the line where it was, before quitting.

We are know talking to put Debian on the desktop. That's why I think it
would be a good idea to provide nice and "userfriendly" default
configurations for some commonly used console applications.

--
Jean-Michel Kelbert