Re: howto use new debconf templates translations

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 11:02:45AM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Gerfried Fuchs wrote:
> >  I guess it would be a good idea to put it in the po-debconf package, if
> > it has been found useful (not tested yet, nothing to test for me there ,).
> > You need po-debconf to do that packages anyway and I guess that script
> > isn't that huge, is it?
>
> Yes, I rather think po-debconf is the right place.

When advocating usage of gettext instead of debconf-utils, one advantage
was that all informations are conveyed within a single file: msgid/msgstr
of course, but also last known translator, outdated translations,
optional comments left by translators to explain his choices, etc.

The ddts currently builds PO files from merged templates files, so all
these informations are lost; it has instead its own data, which are
different since it does not parse original PO files.
Another consequence is that the ddts does not know which fields have
to be translated, and assume that all Description fields (I guess that
some other fields will follow shortly) are translatable.
I worked hard to go the gettext way, by letting maintainers decide
which fields are marked as translatable, so I am reluctant to go back
now ;)

> I'm currently unsatified with the script since it does not merge
> existing and downloaded templates (it could use msgcat).
[...]

But it can't, merging translations is translator's job.

Denis